Background Check Policy:
Certain host organizations, such as schools, may prohibit volunteers with certain types of criminal convictions from participating in a service project. Accordingly, The Mission Continues is requesting your consent to conduct a criminal background check in the event that your Platoon is engaging in a service project with a host organization that requires a criminal background check. By checking the box below, you authorize The Mission Continues to conduct a criminal background check.
If such a background check is required, it will be completed and used in accordance with applicable law. The Mission Continues does not automatically disqualify persons from Platoons based on criminal convictions. We want as many people as possible to have the opportunity to move forward in their lives through service, at the same time that we seek to protect the communities we serve together.
I have elected to volunteer with The Mission Continues in a Program or Service Platoon Project, which may involve:
- Participation in a long-term leadership program
- Participation in one or more community services activities; and/or
- Participation in one or more social or recreational events (“Volunteer Activities”).
I am signing this Agreement in consideration for being allowed to volunteer.
By applying for and performing this volunteer work, I agree as follows:
Acknowledgment and Assumption of the Risks. I am voluntarily participating in Volunteer Activities with sufficient knowledge of the tasks involved. I understand that The Mission Continues and its officers, directors, employees, agents, donors (“Released Parties”) are not responsible for any risks associated with my participation, including but not limited to property damage, injury, or death, even if caused by ordinary negligence or otherwise. I acknowledge that my participation in Volunteer Activities may occur through a virtual, internet-based platform, and election to share my voice or likeness is at my discretion. I consent that these virtual sessions may be recorded, and session content may be used for promotional purposes by The Mission Continues. I acknowledge that such virtual platforms are administered by and the property of a 3rd party, and such 3rd parties may request identifiable information from the Participant. The Mission Continues will be held harmless for any claim that may arise from the Participant’s election to share data with a 3rd party provider.
I fully accept any and all risks of my participation, whether they are known or unknown to me at this time.
Liability Release. I fully and forever release and discharge the Released Parties from any and all claims I have or may have in the future, whether known or unknown, for injury, illness, death or damage arising out of or related in any way to my participation in Volunteer Activities. I acknowledge that certain Volunteer Activities may occur in person, and attendance and participation in those activities is at my sole discretion. In some instances, participation in Volunteer Activities may involve overnight accommodations in a hotel or other lodging. Participation in these activities and use of lodging is at the discretion of the participant, and the participant agrees to hold The Mission Continues harmless for any claims which may result from participation.
Publicity Release. I agree that The Mission Continues may use my name, and pictures, photographs, or video and/or sound recordings of me on television, on radio, on the Internet, in emails, and in stories, news articles, advertisements, or other written or digital materials. I consent to and authorize, in advance, such use and agree that The Mission Continues does not have to notify me of such use or provide me with other consideration for such use. I waive any rights of privacy and/or publicity I may have in connection with these uses.
Effect of Signing. I am aware that this is a contract between me and The Mission Continues and, by signing it, I waive legal rights that I may have now or in the future and I release The Mission Continues and other Released Parties from claims for damages. I agree that the rights I am giving up and agreements I am making apply equally to me and to my heirs, successors, assigns, guardians and legal representatives. I agree that none of those individuals may make any claim or take any action that I could not make or take myself. I also understand that this document is intended to be as broad and inclusive as permitted by the applicable laws of the jurisdiction in which the Volunteer Activities take place, and I agree that if any portion of this Agreement is invalid, the remainder will continue in full force and legal effect.
Core Values Commitment
The Mission Continues is a national, nonpartisan nonprofit that empowers veterans to continue their service, and empowers communities with veteran talent, skills and preparedness to generate visible impact. Through this work, The Mission Continues is committed to providing a safe, inclusive, and positive environment for all program members, volunteers and staff members. You play a critical role in ensuring this reality by embodying our core values.
- Work Hard
- Learn and Grow
- Have Fun
We strive to bring the best of who we are to achieve more as a collective than we could as individuals. As such, we welcome and support people of all backgrounds and identities. We expect all Corps members, volunteers and staff members to embody our values through the following commitments.
As a stakeholder in our organization, you are an extension of The Mission Continues’ values and mission. By signing, you are acknowledging and agreeing to the following expectations and standards while engaging with The Mission Continues or while participating in TMC programs and services, both for yourself and any guests. If either you or your guests do not follow these expectations and standards, you and your guests may be excused from an event, may be ineligible to attend any future events, and you may be limited from future participation in our programs.
Taking Action on Our Core Values
The Mission Continues commits to uphold our values and respect those who serve beside us. We take this commitment very seriously and offer multiple ways for you to let us know if you see that someone in our network (including our team) is not living up to our values. If you are comfortable, please inform your direct staff contact if you feel our core values have been breached. Your staff contact is then required to submit the information they take from you to our executive leadership team. The incident will then be investigated by our team and you will be updated as appropriate. If you do not feel safe reporting to a staff member, please visit this LINK to file a report that will go directly to our Director of Talent and Culture. While it is difficult to investigate anonymous complaints, you can remain so. We have new controls in place to protect our members and will hold our team accountable to their use and fidelity. Actions taken from these investigations will center best practices in mediation, and could result in removal from a program or loss of future opportunities with the organization. Failure to respond to requests for interviews or mediation may also be taken as grounds for removal.
- I will refrain from discriminating, harassing, or offensive actions, verbal or nonverbal communication and behavior toward others. The Mission Continues has a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to discrimination on the basis of age, economic class, education level, ethnicity, race, color, national original, culture, family, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, sex, social, immigration status, size, or veteran status.
- I will respect people’s identities, and do my best to address people as they wish to be identified.
- I recognize that I may be a guest in communities where TMC works. I will do my best to respect their spaces, ways of thinking, and recognize that while they may be under-resourced, they are rich in culture and have unique assets.
- I recognize that I may unintentionally cause harm, either via ignorance of cultural norms, or lack of context to a person’s lived experience. I will receive feedback with grace and work to repair any harm I have caused.
- I will let each person define hard work for themselves, recognizing that I cannot always see a person’s limitations, and strive to create spaces that include people of all abilities.
- I will lend a hand where others need assistance, acknowledging that a rising tide lifts all boats.
- I will push through challenges, stay engaged and present, and complete tasks that I have agreed upon.
Learn and Grow
- I will not ask those most impacted by inequity to educate me, I will believe their stories and seek my own understanding.
- I will challenge myself and my ways of thinking, knowing that growth often comes outside our comfort zone.
- I know that every mistake is an opportunity to grow. I lean into my mistakes and support others as well.
- I will be open to learning new things. Where I am already knowledgeable, I will meet people where they are when it comes to their technical skills and abilities so that they can learn safely and comfortably.
- I will seek to highlight moments of joy for myself and my team, recognizing that this work is difficult at times.
- I recognize that hard work is best accomplished with a positive attitude.
- I know that fun shows up in different ways for different people, and will do my best to be inclusive of everyone.
- I won’t take myself too seriously, and pledge never to yuck someone else’s yum.
- I will look to the vision and trust the process. We are all here for a reason, even if we aren’t experiencing transformation in every activity.
- I recognize that trust is earned, and in our most vulnerable communities, it may be difficult. They deserve my grace and commitment to repair generations of harm.
- I will lead with caring, competence, and good communication so that I earn the trust of those who follow me.
I pledge to uphold the core values through my work with The Mission Continues, and hold the same standards for my guests, fellow members, program participants and volunteers.
Please note: If you are feeling sick, have had any COVID symptoms which include fever, cough and shortness of breath in the past 14 days, or identify as having a higher risk for severe illness please stay home and be safe. While we encourage participation for those that are low-risk and in good health, we ask everyone, irrespective of age and health status, to adopt extra safety measures. We welcome you to join any of our virtual service events and look forward to seeing you healthy at a future project.
Platoon Leaders will ensure the safety of our volunteers, partners and the community by implementing safety protocols and procedures. Please contact the event organizer if you have any questions.
Liability Release Policy and Waiver:
I fully and forever release and discharge the Released Parties from any and all claims I have or may have in the future, whether known or unknown, for injury, illness, death or damage arising out of or related in any way to my participation in Volunteer Activities. I acknowledge that certain Volunteer Activities may occur in person, and attendance and participation in those activities is at my sole discretion. In some instances, participation in Volunteer Activities may involve overnight accommodations in a hotel or other lodging. Participation in these activities and use of lodging is at the discretion of the participant, and the participant agrees to hold The Mission Continues harmless for any claims which may result from participation.
THIS IS A RELEASE OF LEGAL RIGHTS.
READ IT AND BE CERTAIN YOU UNDERSTAND IT BEFORE SIGNING.
Media Release Policy:
I agree that The Mission Continues may use my name, and pictures, photographs, or video and/or sound recordings of me on television, on radio, on the Internet, in emails, and in stories, news articles, advertisements, or other written or digital materials. I consent to and authorize, in advance, such use and agree that The Mission Continues does not have to notify me of such use or provide me with other consideration for such use. I waive any rights of privacy and/or publicity I may have in connection with these uses.
THIS IS A RELEASE OF LEGAL RIGHTS.
READ IT AND BE CERTAIN YOU UNDERSTAND IT BEFORE SIGNING.
The Mission Continues, a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation, is committed to protecting the privacy and confidentiality of personal information entrusted to us.
Personal and Other Information Collected by The Mission Continues
The Mission Continues collects personal information that is voluntarily provided by you when you explore the Website, make a donation, register for an event or project, purchase merchandise, write a Fellow or family of the fallen, or communicate with us by mail, telephone or electronically.
- Your name, mailing address, and/or email address
- Telephone number
- Date of birth
- Purchase/donation history
- Forum/Guestbook communications and photos
- Complaints you may have about the Website and any of its content and offerings
- Veteran Status
We may also collect information through technology for routine system administration purposes, to make our Website more interesting and useful to you, or to manage content delivery. We use this information to understand which areas of our Website are most appealing or least appealing, or to deliver content that is specific to your country or area of residence.
We reserve the right to collect, distribute and use your personal information without consent where required or permitted by law.
Why Does The Mission Continues Collect Personal Information?
The Mission Continues collects personal information for the following reasons:
- To provide you with the information, products or services you have requested, including processing your payment or donation;
- To better understand you and to allow us to serve you better through more detailed information, enhanced customer service and directed The Mission Continues promotional efforts of particular interest;
- To properly investigate and respond to any challenges, questions or concerns you may have about our service or our Website;
- To determine your eligibility for our events, programs, products and services; and
- For internal recordkeeping, reporting, and data analysis.
If you opt in to receive information, offers, promotions or other content from The Mission Continues, your information will be used to provide you with offers for The Mission Continues events, programs, products and services that we believe may interest you and to solicit your opinion on our events, programs, products and services. If you have opted in to receive such information and offers, we may also use your personal information to ensure that your contact information is accurate and up to date.
What Kind of Personal Information Does The Mission Continues Disclose, to Whom and Why?
The Mission Continues may share your personal information with certain The Mission Continues affiliates, and their respective successors and assigns, but only to the extent necessary to fulfill the purposes identified above. In addition to this sharing with affiliates, The Mission Continues may disclose your personal information to third parties as follows:
- To Third Parties To Perform Processing and Other Specialized Services: At times, The Mission Continues may use outside organizations to perform specialized services such as, but not limited to, credit card processing and order fulfillment. These service providers are only given the information needed to perform those services and they are bound contractually to protect the privacy and security of your information and to limit the use of your information to the service being provided.
- To Third Parties in the Event of Legal Reasons: We advise you that we may disclose personal information to the government or other legal or regulatory authorities (i) if so ordered by a court of law, or (ii) for other legal reasons, such as (a) to comply with legal process such as a search warrant, subpoena or court order; (b) to protect The Mission Continues’ rights and property; (c) to investigate reports of fraud or of Users sending material using a false email address or Users sending harassing, threatening, or abusive messages; (d) to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of our Website; or (e) in emergencies, such as when we believe someone’s physical safety is at risk. In some cases, disclosure may be required by law to be without notice to you.
- To Strategic Partners. We also reserve the right to share information with our strategic partners. We do not sell or rent personal information about you (except in connection with a significant transaction as described below).
- To a Third Party in the Event of a Significant Transaction or Other Event: In the case of any significant transaction or event involving The Mission Continues or any of its affiliated entities such as, by way of example, a sale, merger, amalgamation, financing, re-organization, liquidation, or insolvency, other parties to the transaction and their professional advisors may need to have access to The Mission Continues’ various databases as part of the due diligence process. In this event, The Mission Continues would only provide such access under terms of a strict confidentiality agreement. Also, upon completion of the transaction or event, your personal information would be transferred to The Mission Continues’ successor-in-interest to be used for the purposes for which it was collected.
How Long Does The Mission Continues Retain Personal Information?
We keep your information for a period reasonably necessary to meet the purposes for which it was collected or to comply with any legal requirements, including statutory retention periods. When your personal information is no longer required for a specific purpose or legal requirement, it will be erased from our records.
What Security Measures Does The Mission Continues Have in Place To Safeguard Personal Information?
The Mission Continues has implemented reasonable physical, electronic and administrative measures to protect your information from error, loss or unauthorized access. For example, we use industry-standard efforts, such as encryption, passwords and firewalls to safeguard the confidentiality of your personal information contained on our computer systems. In addition, our employees and any third parties we use are contractually bound to protect the confidentiality of your information and access is restricted to those with a need to know the information to carry out the identified purpose.
Where is my Personal Information Located?
Non-personal or aggregated information is information that cannot be associated with or traced back to a specific person. When Users browse our Website, for example, we gather information about the number of Users who are viewing each page so that we can learn what features generate the most interest. We also use this data, both aggregated and personally identifiable, to personalize and enhance your onsite experience by displaying content that we believe will be of interest to you and to deliver content that is specific to your interest. We may disclose anonymous, aggregated information about our Website to third parties.
Links to Third Party Sites
Users may, through hypertext or other computer “links,” gain access to other websites on the Internet which are not operated or monitored by The Mission Continues. The Mission Continues is providing these links to you only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by The Mission Continues of the website or content linked to. THE MISSION CONTINUES ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY MATERIAL OUTSIDE OF THE MISSION CONTINUES’S WEBSITE, INCLUDING ANY WEBSITE WHICH MAY BE ACCESSED THROUGH A LINK ON THE MISSION CONTINUES’S WEBSITE. . Unless otherwise expressly stated at The Mission Continues’ Website, The Mission Continues is not sponsored by or affiliated with the linked website, and trademarks used in connection with linked website are not trademarks of The Mission Continues. The Mission Continues specifically disclaims responsibility for any inadvertent viewing by a minor of any material intended for adults on a website accessed through use of a linked website.
How to Control How Your Personal Information is Collected, Used and Disclosed
You have control over how we collect, use and disclose your personal information. Any comments, questions or changes regarding the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information shall be directed to a The Mission Continues representative, as described below.
You may choose not to receive email from us, even after granting permission, by unsubscribing. Instructions on how to unsubscribe from emails that are not related to processing of your transactions with us are included in each such email.
A request for a copy of the personal information we keep about you, depending on the laws of your country, must be made in writing giving details with which The Mission Continues can identify you. Information will be furnished in accordance with applicable law.
We do not knowingly collect or maintain information at our Website from children under the age of 13, and no part of our Website is structured to attract those under 13.
Questions, Comments or Accessing or Updating Your Personal Information
Please note that certain information is required by The Mission Continues to process payment and fulfill any orders or donations that you may place through the Website, and if you withdraw your consent to the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information for these purposes, then The Mission Continues will not be able to fulfill your orders or process donations.
Volunteers of America of Illinois
47 W. Polk, Suite 250
Chicago, IL 60605
This Release and Waiver Liability, (the “Release”) is in favor of Volunteers of America of Illinois, a nonprofit corporation, and it’s directors, offices, employees, and agents.
The Volunteer desires to work as a volunteer for Volunteers of America of Illinois and engage in the activities related to being a volunteer (the “Activities”). The Volunteer understands that the Activities may include, but are not limited to, organizing, cleaning, performing yard work, serving food, loading and unloading supplies, interacting with clients, and providing clerical support at Volunteers of America of Illinois offices and housing developments.
Volunteer understands that the scope of the volunteers relationship with Volunteers of America of Illinois is limited to a volunteer position and that no compensation is expected in return for services provided by volunteer, that Volunteers of America of Illinois will not provide any benefits traditionally associated with employment to volunteers; and that volunteer is responsible for his/her own insurance coverage in the event of personal injury or illness as a result of volunteer’s services to Volunteers of America of Illinois. The Volunteer does hereby freely, voluntarily, and without duress execute this Release under the following terms:
1. Release and Waiver: Volunteer, for him/herself and his or her legal representatives, spouse, heirs, and assigns, does hereby release and forever discharge and hold harmless Volunteers of America of Illinois and its officers, directors, trustees, employees, agents, insurers and representatives, successors and assigns from any and all liability claims and demands of whatever kind of nature, either in law or in equity, which arise or may hereafter arise from Volunteer’s Activities with Volunteers of America of Illinois. Volunteer understands that this Release discharges Volunteers of America of Illinois from any liability or claim that the Volunteer may have against Volunteers of America of Illinois with respect to any bodily injury, personal injury, illness, death, or property damage that may result from Volunteers Activities with Volunteers of America of Illinois whether caused by the negligence of Volunteers of America of Illinois or its officers, directors, employees, or agents or otherwise. Volunteer covenants not to bring any action against Volunteers of America of Illinois for any such injury or damage. Volunteer also understands that Volunteers of America of Illinois does not assume any responsibility for or obligation to provide financial or other assistance including but not limited to medical, health, or disability insurance in the event of injury or illness.
2. Medical Treatment: Volunteer does hereby release and forever discharges Volunteers of America of Illinois from any claim whatsoever which arises or may hereafter arise on account of any first aid, treatment, or service rendered in connection with the Volunteer’s Activities with Volunteers of America of Illinois. Volunteer authorizes Volunteers of America of Illinois to act, in its best judgment, on volunteer’s behalf in case of an emergency.
3. Assumption of the Risk: The Volunteer understands that the Activities may include work that may be hazardous to the Volunteer, including, but are not limited to, organizing, cleaning, performing yard work, loading and unloading supplies, interacting with clients, and providing clerical support at Volunteers of America of Illinois offices and housing developments. Volunteer hereby expressly and specifically assumes the risk of injury or harm in the Activities and releases Volunteers of America of Illinois from all liability for injury, illness, death, or property damage resulting from the Activities.
4. Voluntary Service: Volunteer understands and acknowledges that he/she may decline any volunteer role or position at any time if he/she feels such role or position presents a risk to health or safety or for any other reason. Volunteer agrees to advise Volunteers of America of Illinois of any preexisting conditions that would preclude involvement in any activity.
5. Insurance: The Volunteer understands that, except as otherwise agreed upon by Volunteers of America of Illinois in writing, Volunteers of America of Illinois does not carry or maintain health, medical, disability or Workers Compensation insurance coverage for any volunteer.
6. Photo Consent: Volunteer allows Volunteers of America of Illinois the right to take photographs of me and my property or use my quotes. I authorize Volunteers of America of Illinois its assigns and transferees to copyright, use and publish the same in print and/or electronically. I agree that Volunteers of America of Illinois may use such quotes, photographs, or physical likeness of me with or without my name and for any lawful purpose, including for example such purposes of publicity, illustration advertising, and web content.
7. Other: Volunteer expressly agrees that the Release is intended to be as broad and inclusive as permitted by the laws of the State of Illinois, and that this Release shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of Illinois. Volunteer agrees that in the event that any clause or provision of this Release shall be held to be invalid by any court of competent jurisdiction, the invalidity of such clause or provision shall not otherwise affect the remaining provisions of this Release which will continue to be enforceable. Volunteer represents that he/she is 18 years of age or older.