Core Values Commitment
The Mission Continues is a national, nonpartisan nonprofit that empowers veterans to continue their service, and empowers communities with veteran talent, skills and preparedness to generate visible impact. Through this work, The Mission Continues is committed to providing a safe, inclusive, and positive environment for all program members, volunteers and staff members. You play a critical role in ensuring this reality by embodying our core values.
- Work Hard
- Learn and Grow
- Have Fun
We strive to bring the best of who we are to achieve more as a collective than we could as individuals. As such, we welcome and support people of all backgrounds and identities. We expect all Corps members, volunteers and staff members to embody our values through the following commitments.
As a stakeholder in our organization, you are an extension of The Mission Continues’ values and mission. By signing, you are acknowledging and agreeing to the following expectations and standards while engaging with The Mission Continues or while participating in TMC programs and services, both for yourself and any guests. If either you or your guests do not follow these expectations and standards, you and your guests may be excused from an event, may be ineligible to attend any future events, and you may be limited from future participation in our programs.
Taking Action on Our Core Values
The Mission Continues commits to uphold our values and respect those who serve beside us. We take this commitment very seriously and offer multiple ways for you to let us know if you see that someone in our network (including our team) is not living up to our values. If you are comfortable, please inform your direct staff contact if you feel our core values have been breached. Your staff contact is then required to submit the information they take from you to our executive leadership team. The incident will then be investigated by our team and you will be updated as appropriate. If you do not feel safe reporting to a staff member, please visit this link to file a report that will go directly to our Director of Talent and Culture. While it is difficult to investigate anonymous complaints, you can remain so. We have new controls in place to protect our members and will hold our team accountable to their use and fidelity. Actions taken from these investigations will center best practices in mediation, and could result in removal from a program or loss of future opportunities with the organization. Failure to respond to requests for interviews or mediation may also be taken as grounds for removal.
- I will refrain from discriminating, harassing, or offensive actions, verbal or nonverbal communication and behavior toward others. The Mission Continues has a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to discrimination on the basis of age, economic class, education level, ethnicity, race, color, national origin, culture, family, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, sex, social, immigration status, size, religion or veteran status.
- I will respect people’s identities, and do my best to address people as they wish to be identified.
- I recognize that I may be a guest in communities where TMC works. I will do my best to respect their spaces, ways of thinking, and recognize that while they may be under-resourced, they are rich in culture and have unique assets.
- I recognize that I may unintentionally cause harm, either via ignorance of cultural norms, or lack of context to a person’s lived experience. I will receive feedback with grace and work to repair any harm I have caused.
- I will let each person define hard work for themselves, recognizing that I can not always see a person’s limitations, and strive to create spaces that include people of all abilities.
- I will lend a hand where others need assistance, acknowledging that a rising tide lifts all boats.
- I will push through challenges, stay engaged and present, and complete tasks that I have agreed upon.
Learn and Grow
- I will not ask those most impacted by inequity to educate me, I will believe their stories and seek my own understanding.
- I will challenge myself and my ways of thinking, knowing that growth often comes outside our comfort zone.
- I know that every mistake is an opportunity to grow. I lean into my mistakes and support others as well.
- I will be open to learning new things. Where I am already knowledgeable, I will meet people where they are when it comes to their technical skills and abilities so that they can learn safely and comfortably.
- I will seek to highlight moments of joy for myself and my team, recognizing that this work is difficult at times.
- I recognize that hard work is best accomplished with a positive attitude.
- I know that fun shows up in different ways for different people, and will do my best to be inclusive of everyone.
- I won’t take myself too seriously, and pledge never to yuck someone else’s yum.
- I will look to the vision and trust the process. We are all here for a reason, even if we aren’t experiencing transformation in every activity.
- I recognize that trust is earned, and in our most vulnerable communities, it may be difficult. They deserve my grace and commitment to repair generations of harm.
- I will lead with caring, competence, and good communication so that I earn the trust of those who follow me.
I pledge to uphold the core values through my work with The Mission Continues, and hold the same standards for my guests, fellow members, and volunteers.